Well, I’ve put off this assignment for as long as possible. I’m not really sure why I’ve put off coming here…I think maybe I’m afraid I don’t really have anything insightful to say about the place I visited six weeks ago. Has it really been six weeks, wow how quickly time has gone by!
On my way to the columns I couldn’t help but to think that I couldn’t have chosen a worse place to visit. Last time I was here there was absolutely no one to observe. But then again six weeks ago I was craving a sense of privacy that the dorms just couldn’t provide. This was just my thought as I passed Drumheller Fountain, where people not only pass by stay a while longer to linger. Now that would have been a good place to visit had I enough foresight. But I chose the columns.
I wasn’t expecting much, but to my surprise there was actually another person sitting beneath the columns! At first I felt, and I suppose I still do as I sit here typing, like a perpetrator, stealing someone else’s private space. Maybe the solace I was seeking last time is what this girl is looking for. But I guess I can’t feel too badly about being here because several people cut through the arches on their way someone else during my time here.
Another aspect about the arches that was either absent, or I failed to notice, is how cold it is, but then again that could just be Washington. While last time it was also on the verge or raining, I don’t remember it being so cold. Maybe I should start wearing gloves.
A common feature about the columns, which I think I mentioned last time, is the constant presence of people moving. Although this is an intensely private place, it’s worth mentioning that’s its an enclave surrounded by a constant swarm of people moving about.
After my time here I’m thrilled to report that I’ve seen six people in total, aside from the person already here. It’s interesting two people, I presume father and daughter stand at the Drumheller Fountain entrance of the arches for what seems to be at least several minutes. Maybe it’s the first time they’ve come to the arches?
A couple dressed in what I presume are warm layers sitting next to the girl busy typing away on her laptop. This couple, while not overtly affection sit next to the person I interrupted, so I guess I’m not so intrusive after all. I really like this couple. I like that out of all the people I’ve seen since first coming here, they were the first ones to walk across the grass and not the paved path that encircles the arches. The preteen with her father didn’t even seem tempted to walk across the grass.
Well I really would love to type more but it’s getting really cold and I’m not sure that my fingers will be able to type anymore if I stay out here any longer!
I’m out, but not before I decide to cut across the grass.
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment